When two public figures get together, it is incredibly difficult to not become at least a little bit attached to them since their relationship flourishes in the glaring eye of the public and everyone suddenly has a combined name for them.
With the news that Brangelina is no more and just a few days later, Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber announcing their split after 11 years together, it got me thinking about the celebrity couples of the past. Look, I’m not some type of weird person that has shrines all over my closet of the couples of yesteryear… I just happen to grow slightly attached to certain ones and although years may pass, there will always be that little thought in the back of my mind that says, “… but what if!” How have we managed to survive without these couples?!
5. Katy Perry/Russell Brand
- Met in 2009 filming Get Him To The Greek.
- Married in October of 2010.
- Announced divorce in December 2011.
Everyone remembers the Grammy Awards where Russell Brand showed up in a glimmering silver suit and Katy Perry looked radiant in her decked out angelic white dress. Unfortunately, no amount of outfit coordination could have saved this couple.
4. Bennifer #1 (Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez)
- Announced engagement in November 2002.
- Starred in the ridiculously smash hit Gigli in 2003.
- Announced break up in January 2004.
Okay, Gigli may not have been anybody’s favorite movie (or favorite anything, really) but I found the chemistry between Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck undeniable, regardless of the shit movie surrounding it. Affleck appeared in the music video to Lopez’s actual hit Jenny From The Block and apparently they’re still buddies which makes 2002 me incredibly happy.
3. Britney Spears/Justin Timberlake
- Met during The New Mickey Mouse Club in the early 1990s.
- Began dating early 1999.
- Relationship ended in March 2002.
Justin Timberlake & Britney Spears have certainly moved on from their whirlwind romance of their youth, Timberlake is married to actress Jessica Biel with one son and Spears has two boys with ex Kevin Federline… However, during the early 2000s these two were the King and Queen of Pop Music! Showing up at events in full denim, rocking the various turtleneck and/or Newsboy hat.
Although the relationship may have ended on harsh terms… cough Cry Me A River cough… Apparently they would both be down for musical collaboration.
Excuse me while my six-year-old-self squeals in delight.
2. Reese Witherspoon/Ryan Phillippe
- Met at her 21st birthday in March 1997.
- Engaged in December 1998.
- Starred in Cruel Intentions in 1999; daughter, Ava, born that year.
- Their son, Deacon, was born in 2003.
- Announced separation in October 2006.
So there are always those couples you think will just never break up so you don’t ever have to worry about it. You grow attached and love watching whenever they’re around each other because they just look so in love…
This couple for me was Reese Witherspoon & Ryan Phillippe.
When I heard the news that these two were separating, it genuinely made me distraught for like a minute or ten. Reese and Ryan were a prime example of young love and sometimes, that love just fizzles away… sigh We’ll always have Cruel Intentions.
1. Jessica Simpson/Nick Lachey
- Met in December 1998.
- Became engaged in February 2002, married in October 2002.
- Their show Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica aired from 2003-2005.
- Announced separation in November 2005.
- Divorce finalized in June 2006.
Guys… Remember Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica? I used to religiously watch this show every single time it was on TV and I mean every… single… time… I remember when there would be marathons virtually every weekend of the same episodes and I would continue to watch it because I just found them so darn charming.
Newlyweds gifs because I’m emotional:
- When Jessica wondered how a hat looked on her:
- When Jessica brought up Jonah to explain how serious of a situation they were in:
- When Nick warned Jessica about bears:
- The time they went golfing and Jessica understood the Boob While Golfing Struggle:
- Nick’s reaction to seeing her walking down the aisle ruined future weddings for me:
- When they went camping and Nick’s brother gives her sound advice:
- When they said loving things about one another :’)
Also this final one:
Nick and Jessica truly feel like a lifetime ago since they are both happily married, Lachey to Vanessa Minnillo and Simpson to football player Eric Johnson, with teacup humans of their own. However, lest we forget there wasn’t a moment that would go by in the 2000s where someone didn’t make a “Chicken or Tuna?” joke.
Just watching the clip from their reality show brings back an onslaught of memories; the Chicken Of The Sea brand probably doubled their sales during that time due to Jessica Simpson. She should get royalty cheques.
“I know it’s tuna but… It says “chicken”… “By the sea…”